|Evaluation|

Throughout the practice unit I have challenged and pushed myself with managing my time and running projects alongside each other. I have pushed my abilities and believed in experimentation's. Within project one, which was initial sampling, I came across many ways to transform and manipulate wood. Working with one material has allowed me to focus in detail on the properties of wood, which has given me much knowledge and enjoyment. I also took part in a laser transfer workshop which got me excited about finally adding image/colour to the wood. However laser trans process wasn’t right for what I wanted to do. I used heat transfer paper to transfer digital work onto wood. Looking at artists such as Burro Happold really inspired my work and my direction. Using a living hinge to transform the wood. I experimented with the design of this and combining it to a shape which worked well however wasn’t the direction I seen the work progressing. I used both illustrator and coral draw to both create and change my designs to be compatible with the laser. I used plywood in 3mm and 1.5mm and it was the 1.5mm back2back line design which worked the best with this material. Creating the fold up and flexibility qualities I wanted. This design was then something I wanted to take further which taken me into my second project.


 The second project was a real success even though there were a lot more trial and errors. I was set in my mind that my idea would be a success and after lots of second guessing the design worked large scale on the CNC machine. It had the similar qualities as the smaller sample, however much heavier weight and exactly 6ft tall. I then progressed to see if I could create a fabric roll of the wood with this design with the intention to allow the fabric wood to roll out and then pack up and put away. I had the idea that my work would be site specific and sculptural and be like a pop up installation piece. After trying out applying photographic imagery to my samples, I progressed onto being inducted into screen printing onto the wood with block colour. The outcomes were great and I intend to progress this and experiment more within further projects. Furthermore, I went on to collaborate with a 2nd year photographer and a model to photograph my samples, coming out with some amazing images. This showed of each sample for its qualities and showed the movement in them. I wanted in this case hope to interact with them as I wanted to get a feel of how the pieces look not only in a space but with the people. Dyslexia was the main concept behind my work and gave me most of my thought processes. From the famous quote by Einstein 'Everybody is a Genius. But If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid’ I gave this approach when experimenting with the wood. Also, the idea of the brain having two sides and transferring this through with my sampling. The ability to twist and turn. I intend to carry on the knowledge I have learnt from the practice unit and to also progress with the wooden fabric which I believe could be improved and create something exciting. I also look forward to creating more screens for printing. With this project a focus was to create visualisations to show my work as a site specific piece. However, due to my experiments taking longer than I expected and time restraints not allowing me to develop my ideas further or get images which would work for visuals within a space, I intend to make this my focus when moving forward into unit X.
The outward facing projects have been amazing! I have loved every minute of interacting with the outside world. Design Academy helped me to understand a design process and I have brought this thinking to my work. The Design Academy programme allowed me to collaborate with different disciplines throughout the art school, creating a presentation together on a care related issue which were we  created a persona of a young male with Autism. The process of designing something for a public issue to either bring awareness or to improve life for the better is something which has really helped me, creating work for a purpose. We travelled to London to present in front of a panel of people from Design Academy. I enjoyed this experience so much because it felt like I was in the real world of design. It prepared me more for when I finish University  – helped me to know how to follow a brief and pick it apart because of the skills I’ve learnt from this.  

I have also been taking part within a school placement within Design and Technology in Hathershaw Academy. This experience has provided me with an insight into secondary education and the day to day approaches teachers take to teach their lessons. I have also used the university facilitates such as the employability service to help me with my CV and also to help proof read my PGCE personal statement. I believe that throughout this practice unit i have learnt people skills and nogitating skills. All these have been the drive for my project pushing forward.

Comments

Popular Posts