|Project 2 - Development and Experimentation Back2Back Design|

I decided develop one of my exprimentations from the first project ‘the back2back line design which I did in project one. Wanting to see what the limits was for this sample and how far I could push it. The first experiment was to see how many lines side by side each other would work with and after trying out 2 and 3 lines it shown that sticking with the simple one line design worked the best and achieved the features I liked and wanted to bring across into this project, more lines was something what I wouldn’t take forward.

With the intention of wanting to create something at scale I went onto seeing if I could experiment with the length of the sample. First I had to go back into my coral draw design with having multiple attempts which failed trying to get right the right measurements, even being slightly off would cause the piece to be whole at parts of the sample. This would create the wood to have limited flexibility. Having to measure each distance for the line and where the line would meet. This experimentation process has been very costly and has made me want to quite doing it due to waste and affordability,however i also learnt i have to prepare for this. Then after cracking this experiment and i was happy to move forward and develop my this idea i then wanted to create a continuous fabric piece at large scale. 
Wooden Fabric- Showing Twist Qualities 



Wooden Fabric-Showing Continuity And Roll Up Qualities  
After knowing i wanted to focus my context as a site specific large scale piece, I went into researching artists. See below 3 Site specific artists.
Artist- Henrique Oliveira

Megan Streader 

Natalia design







My first thoughts being using the CNC machine as this would allow me to use all one sheet of plywood however this couldn’t happen as the plywood is 1.5 mm and the minimum material which can be used on this machine is 6 mm.  Going forward I persevered making the continuous piece on the laser cutter as separate pieces and then joining them together. I needed to consider how i could refine the edges and what would be the best way of joining them together. This was a challenge as bolts would make it clear it wasn't continuous. So i used super glue and decreased the size of each end of the panels so that it looked as refined as possible. If i was to do this again it would be to research companies which have a larger laser cutter machine. The key factors of this experiment was that it has the qualities to fold up and put away, It can twist and create amazing shapes and shadows as shown in the wooden fabric images above. I would love to visualise this within a space. I intend to visualise this sample. could fold up and put away, could stretch, length was most effective, would love to visualise this in a space.

Comments

Popular Posts