|Project 1- Emma Dahlquist|


Emma Dahlquist’s work has provided me a way to develop my work in a new direction. At the beginning of this project I knew I wanted to make wood look like and have the qualities of fabric  but I wasn’t achieving this and hadn't come across anyone who had worked in a similar way.





As soon as I saw this work I was attracted to how thin the wood was and this made me re-consider the thickness of the plywood I was using. Could this then change the properties of my work? Could I push the living hinge further by using 1.5mm plywood? Would this cause issues or would it still retain it’s strength. Over complicating my designs may cause the issues I am trying to avoid, so I want to test design ideas which are much simpler than those from the past. My processes are inspired by the famous quote from einstein “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” This idea of not judging a material by what its limits are assumed to be. This brings me back to what is driving my risk taking  and experimentation throughout this project. 

Comments

Popular Posts