|Project 2 - Pushing The Limits - Big Wood Sample|


With this mini project within project two my aims where to push the 'back2back' design and go much bigger! Setting a task/challenge for myself. After having the idea of creating my wooden fabric on the CNC and this not being possible, it made me think what could be possible? So I decided to try out the line design at a large scale measuring at 7ft tall and using a much thicker and heavier wood at 9mm wood as appose to 1.5 mm. Throughout this little project I had a lot of second guessing from not only technicians but myself and believing this idea of making such a heavy hard material to be able to bend and twist and carry the same properties as the wood fabric without breaking would work. But after negotiating and sticking to believing in the idea i was able to convince technicians to allow me to go forward with my idea.

The first attempt didn’t work and this was a set back but keeping the the idea of different routes for dyslexics and that theres always another way I figured if I nailed the wood down and added bridges into my design this would stop it from flapping on the machine. The image shows below the brake within the wood.
Attempt No.1 Of Big Wood 
Attempt No.2- Added Bridges 

Attempt No.2 - After Sawing and Sanding Each Individual Bridge/Comparing size to First Sample  


I then went into woodwork to saw each individual bridge by hand and then sanding the down the sides. Instantly noticing i could fold the piece made me feel proud.This project really got me believing in myself and my ideas and learnt me a big life lesson. This project was more than sampling for me.

Then wanting my design hanged up and to be able to twist on a pole I contacted metal work where we came up with a design for the 'BIGWOOD' which would allow for it to hang over each end of the pole and to hold the weight however we had to go back into this design and add a hook to the pole and the wood was being pulled to far if it was to go over each end of the pole. After doing this i was able to put up and take down the 'BIGWOOD' sample. My thoughts and ideas became a reality being exactly how i imagined it to look and act in its qualities. Below are some images of the final piece:




Comments

Popular Posts