| Learning Agreement |

Project Title 1: Initial Sampling

For this project I aim to experiment with wood. I want to make a hard material like wood to have the qualities of fabric. I want to create flexibility and to try and push the hard material as much as I can. Then I will consider ways of applying color or photographic images onto wood.
 I intend to hand in a body of initial samples/experiments. I will also be including any Illustrations I have done for my laser designs. I will move into the Photostudio to take photographs showing the qualities of the samples, whether it is capturing movement or texture. I will attempt to research artists who work with fabric manipulation and artists who may inspire an idea. I intend to research into how imagery is printed onto wood if at all possible and the different ways of applying color, for example screen printing.
The context viewing point for this project will expand more during my second project. However, I intend to keep in mind all the successful samples and bring over their qualities within the next project. When creating and making samples I hope to consider if their qualities will be suitable for a site-specific piece/sculpture. Managing my time and organizing will be a challenge for me. I must find a way which works for me to keep on top of what I need to do and prioritizing what needs doing first. I also think because of me using the laser cutter as my main way of sampling this will be a challenge, as I will not know if something will work until it has been created on the laser cutter and this can be very costly.

Project Title 2: Development of the 'Back2Back' Line design

This project will be focusing more on one design which is the 'Back2back' Line design which was created in the first project, showing the fabric qualities can fold and shape and be flexible. I want to experiment with this and try to see how far I can push it. I also want to experiment further with applying colour  onto wood. The concept of my work will be dyslexia and taking the quote from Einstein 'Everybody is a Genius. But If You Judge a Fish by Its Ability to Climb a Tree, It Will Live Its Whole Life Believing that It is Stupid' this is what will drive this project - giving the same approach to the hard material and not judging the material to just hold itself to those properties.

Within this body of work I will be providing initial and development samples. I will intend to also work large scale. I also intend to have a body of mounted Photographs highlighting my best images of samples, creating a collection. I will create books with images of samples also. Research will consist of site specific artists and how they showcase their work and also look into large scale/ sculptural work. I will also be looking at artists who use colour blocking. I intend to use the laser cutter and move on to the CNC machine to create large scale work. I plan to work towards a large-scale piece suitable for the context of site specific or sculptural installation. I want to communicate this through photographic imagery which will then be placed into a mounted collection. I will keep an open mind into what they could turn into as I want the idea of dyslexia and the same design being changed to represent this.  The challenges will be running my placement alongside my practical work so I need to keep on top of my dairy which worked so well within the first project. I also need to adapt working from small scale to large scale, this may cause problems with not only the design working but the type of wood I choose to use and if it will be successful.
Outward Facing Projects


I intend to apply and take part with the Design Academy programme. I also will be taking part within school placement, which will be over the course of 10 weeks running alongside my projects.  

Comments

Popular Posts