|Outward Facing Project-Design Academy|


Design academy all started with an application process. Getting onto this programme was a big achievement of mine and I met some very intriguing people who I learnt lots from. This programme was 4 days. 3 days within Manchester and then 1 day at the Design Council in London.
Day one was all about learning about social challenges and then applying design approaches to these and how learning by doing and that great design can improves lives. We were given a challenge:
‘How might we help people with care needs to manage their own condition?’ We were placed in groups of mixed disciplines and each group had a different challenge.
During the time at Design Academy we had a ‘walk in’ experience and went to a gallery to evaluate how design has helped our experience as a group.
Learning frameworks for System for Innovation for example:
Framework + Process + Methods = System for Innovation
A Framework which worked well I believe was the double diamond. See below: 
Double Diamond 
Creating personas was also a great way to figure out the best representation of a type of person. We created several and then decided upon an Autistic man who lived away from home.
Persona - Sheldon Smith
We chose this because it felt more focussed than the other broader topics. As the days went on it was more about redefining the brief to be as clear as possible.

Advice included:
·        Communicate Visually
·        Make it people centred
·        Collaborate
·        Investigate
·        Learn
·        Investigate again

I found that the way the programme worked really supported my dyslexia. Using post it notes and big Sharpie pens to record a single word and having text placed within diagrams and mind maps helped to get my thought processes onto paper. These techniques not only helped my dyslexia but how I tackle a brief, but having to create questions for ourselves before going into a brief also helped my thinking.
We learnt helpful design methods and a lady from ESRO also came in to share with us how she undertakes research. I learnt how to create Prototype Plans and other contributions to great research such as : Costing, Stakeholder Maps, Emotions and Activity Project Posters.
After lots of discussion we decided as a group that we would re-define the challenge and our new question was:
‘How can we communicate the ways to manage people on the Autism Spectrum with their own care needs?’
We met regularly as a group even though we did have 1 non-engaged member. We would try to communicate as much as possible through Facebook. I made keyrings with different textures as I felt having something physical for the presentation would be a great idea.
On our 4th day we travelled to London to present in front of a panel of people from Design Academy. I enjoyed this experience so much because it felt like I was in the real world of design. It prepared me more for when I finished University than any work done at uni – helped me to know how to follow a brief and pick it apart because of the skills I’ve learnt from this. I had really good feedback on how clearly I spoke and how confident I was. I feel like this was because the resources we were given had provided me with a really clear structure and I used this to stage my own presentation. Since this experience I have been putting this way of thinking into practice when tackling my own work and my own briefs. The idea of designing something for a public issue to either bring awareness or to improve life for the better is something which has really helped me. It’s not just about thinking what I like, it’s about what other people like. It gives the work meaning and value.
 
Example of Activity Sheets 

1 of 40 Keyrings 

Design Council Member with Keyring On There PencilCase 



Comments

Popular Posts