|Project 1- Experimenting With Breaks& Shape|

For this week I have been experimenting with how adding breaks between the living hinge and the plywood can create shape and allow me to control where the wood bends. Using a simple line design I could see this being developed further by adding breaks into a shape with a curve. See image below:


 
|Living Hinge with Breaks Sample|
Throughout the week I took into consideration Burro Happold’s work and how I wanted to add this process into a more compilated shape. I tried downsizing the scale of my curved design, however this caused issues with the hinge being too weak to bend and causing the sample to break in half. This made me scale up the design and experiment with a variety of different hinge desings. This was to test if it was the hinge which was causing the weakness issue or if it was the scale. The scale was the issue and after scaling up to around A3 size the sample worked perfectly, creating some amazing shape and structure. 
|A3 Sized 'S' shape Sample |

I started bending this sample around existing walls and objects around the art school and this made me think about having my work in the next project site specific or in an installation context.























Comments

Popular Posts